Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Harvard, Mississippi,and the delight of hard work.

So, here I am again. Facing the mountainous pile of procrastination I have made for myself. In reality, it's not nearly as bad as I make it sound. Two good papers in two weeks. Then another really REALLY good paper by January 17 for my Harvard class. By the way, for those that care, I got my first 'A' there. Pretty cool huh? As happy as I am about it, I mention it more so because it marks a place I NEVER thought I would be. Poor kid, poor family, no educational prowess or pedigree to speak of, and no one really thought I could do it till I was here. Amazing what a few little words can do, eh? "I think you've got what it takes, Troy." Them again, that prof was not without evidence. Point being, more than any level of success I have (or ever will, for that matter) attain, its the 'narrative' quality of it that I revel in, not the glory of a notch in my academic belt. I mean, who woulda thunk it? Me? Here? Getting good grades at Harvard? Pshaw. God is good. He has not failed to write the story well, or at least this chapter I should say. Praise Him, not me.
In other news, I went to Mississippi for a week early in November with a professor, some other students, and several people from the professors church. We did disaster relief and 'social justice work' for victims of Hurricane Katrina. It was great. As with anything that is truly meaningful, it is not an easy thing to explain. Suffice it to say, it was incredibly worthwhile, we got to serve a man and his daugther, serve our Presbyterian brothers and sisters, and just be Christ to people. Those of you who have done sociail justice/missionary/relief work will understand the spiriutual and emotional dynamic I am speaking of. Those of you that haven't done such work...well you won't. It's a bit of an impoverishment of the soul too if you ask me. But then again, you didn't ask...
Things here are otherwise very normal. I am delighting in my studies. Working a hard day in the library, or a 'combo day' (8 hours at the 'Bucks, then whatever remains of the day reading, writing, and other business) is VERY satisfying. Talking theology over beer with friends is truly delightful... and it allows us to entertain our communal delusions of academic grandeur.
Hmm, I imagine there is plenty more to be said, but the library is shutting down, I am expected elswhere, and its time to be on my way. Cheers.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

MMMMMmmmmmm....beer and God. Doesn't get much better than that!

9:44 PM  
Blogger xcwomac said...

This was inspiring to me in this moment. I started grad school. Classes just started Monday. By Tuesday night, it felt like it should have already been Friday. I am feeling a little overwhelmed by all that I have to do, and have to do very well. It is daunting to think about all of this. I know I can, but right now, it's difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Anyway, reading your blogs like this one help me to gain a little more confidence. Thanks. Oh and thanks for the Myspace message.... my internet access has been so limited lately. I look forward to writing you back sometime soon.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home